Production (3) - Polaroids

Production Log 3

Filming and photographing my Polaroids 

After gathering a lot of the polaroids, I decided to try and experiment with lighting and taking photos of the polaroids, as I would then animate them digitally on After Effects. Focusing the camera on the polaroids proved difficult, as it would often move out of focus, or focus on my shadow. Similarly, laying out the polaroids was also challenging, as I tried to lay them out in an aesthetic, mosaic-like sequence, and photograph them in singular shots, as well as altogether.

I experimented with the lighting, to see which lighting would look best and what would portray the polaroids as best as possible. I first experimented with dark, purple-ish lighting, and took photographs in that light. This was decent-enough, but the lighting was too overpowering and it would often take away focus from the pictures. I also had to often move the lighting equipment in order to ensure the pictures would be the main focus, but also to see how the lighting would reflect off of the polaroids. 

For the results, they came out moderately-well, but trying to reduce as much shadow and reflection as possible was difficult. Therefore, I will have to firstly edit the photos before deciding whether I will need to photograph them again or not. 

Some of the shots:


One of my favourite shots



More polaroid filming:

After filming more footage, I decided to reshoot my polaroids, as I wasn't entirely happy with how some of them came out, especially with regards to the lighting. Thus, I booked out equipment, and decided to try and photograph the polaroids as best as possible. 

I chose blue and purple lighting, as they signify heartbreak/sadness, and love/lust/power, and ultimately displays the lovers' feelings. 

Trying to capture the polaroids without the lighting or my reflection was quite difficult, as I would have to often try and angle the camera in a way so that my reflection is not shown, or is minimally shown. However, after viewing some of the prior footage, I edited it, and my reflection was unable to be seen, so if I were to still receive background on my current filming, I would have to do even more editing. 

As I had booked out the blackmagic and the GH5, I was able to alternate between the cameras, although, it was quite difficult trying to film on the blackmagic, as there was a lot of noise that would show up on the footage. Moreover, filming on the GH5 was also a bit difficult, with angling the camera, and it would be frustrating when I would still see my reflection, and as a result, I would then have to reshoot the footage again and again, until I was happy with the outcomes (which took a lot more time than expected).

Albeit, I was able to successfully photograph my polaroids without much interference, and was able to angle the camera so that the camera portrayed the polaroids to its full extent, with much detail.

Behind The Scenes:














Comments

Popular Posts