Production Day outcomes

Production Day 

The outcomes of my production day. 



Production Day sheet:




Aims and outcomes: 

For my key aims, I'd like to experiment on the various different chosen techniques, to see whether I'd actually use them in my music video, and to ultimately narrow down my choices. I hope that most of my techniques will be successful and prove able to work. 


First experiments (part offsite and in school): 

1. Fisheye angle (ultra-wide lens) 

I chose to use the fisheye angle with inspiration from the Burger King Bathroom music video, which often used the fisheye lens with contrasting colours which fit well with the music genre's aesthetics. 
The fisheye lens I aim to have during parts of the main chorus of my song.



Burger King Bathroom 


What the fisheye angle looks like 


2. Snorricam (dizzying effect) 

I chose this technique with inspiration from the 'No idea' music video by Don Toliver. I particularly liked the effect of this technique, and thus, decided I would definitely have it as part of my music video.
The effect also fits in well with parts of the lyrics of my music video, and I think it would blend in well with other elements in my music video. 


Snorricam effect 



Snorricam technique in film: 


3. Extreme close-ups/close-ups in contrasting lighting 

I chose these shots to specifically experiment with the lighting, more natural lighting. I took inspiration from Selena Gomez's 'Fetish' music video, as the music video features lots of dim-lit lighting and fits in with my 'aesthetic' and 'look' for my music video. 



Fetish music video



4. General experimenting with a gimbal 

I chose to try and experiment with a gimbal, as the gimbal may be a much easier way to film some of the shots, especially with following my character's movements. 



In the video above, one effect I'm likely to include in my video is the 'soft focus reveal'. 


For parts of my experimentation, I have chosen a forest-like setting for the gimbal effect and for the natural lighting. 


Second experiments - focused on lighting, silhouettes and transitions with props

Regarding my second experiments, I've chosen to only focus on lighting and transitions aspects as they are one of the more 'technical' features I'd like to try out. 


1. Silhouettes - high-key and low-key lighting 

I chose this technique as it fits in with my whole focus on dark ambience and dimly lit settings. I took inspiration from Drake's 'Hotline Bling' music video, which featured silhouettes against high-key lighting, pastel backgrounds.

Drake's Hotling Bling video 




I also derived inspiration from The Weeknd's 'Starboy' music video due to the contrast with the low-key lighting and dark blue colours against his dark outfit. 

Starboy music video 

Furthermore, from my mood board, I took out Lana Del Rey's 'Summertime Sadness' music video, due to the effectiveness and clearness of the silhouette against the high-key lighting background. This is something I'd most definitely like to try and experiment with many colours.

Summertime sadness music video

In terms of 'dark ambience' as such, I chose BTS' 'Black Swan' music video, which perfectly fits in with this idea, as the setting is a gothic-like theatre, with lots of low-key lighting and bright high-key lighting in backgrounds, to replicate silhouettes and shadows.







2. Transitions with props 

I chose transitions with props, specifically polaroids and disposable film, as it's one of they key elements I thought would fit in well with the idea of happy memories, as these film are usually taken at cherishable moments. The transition would be from current reality to those same moments, to be relieved again. 

I derived inspiration from Justin Bieber and Bloodpop's 'Friends' Lyrics video, which featured disposable film of happy, reminiscent memories.




I also took inspiration from Jonas Blue's 'Polaroid' music video, purely due to the meaning of the song being capturing moments that will last a lifetime in this little picture, a polaroid. The video follows a young soon-to-be couple who's very first moments together is within this polaroid, which one of them keep, until they reunite again. 


In terms of transitioning between these ideas, I decided to look at other music videos which featured 'memories' or moments captured on TV's or in something that's easy to edit with. 

One music video I found was Kimbra's Like What They Do On TV, which unsurprisingly featured a TV showing the artist, through a VHS tape-like style (which is something I'd also thought of) 





Third experimentation - animation 

1. Animations with drawings 

For my third experimentation, I will focus on animation, and try to recreate some of them from the music videos I was inspired by. The first animation was from Justin Bieber's 'Where Are U Now' music video which featured drawings, which were then animated into a fast-pace montage. 





2. Full animations 

I took inspiration from LSD (Labrinth, Sia, Diplo)'s 'Genius' music video, due to the animation throughout the music video, which is something I am hoping to try and have in my music video. 


Fourth experimentation - green screen, VHS cam, split screen and overall editing 

1. Green screen 

Regarding my fourth experimentation, I will focus on overall editing my scenes of my day, and using a green screen to test out and edit how some of the background may look like. I took inspiration from BTS' 'Boy With Luv' music video, as one part of the video features a green screen animation of flowers bursting from a red and pink contrasting background. This is something I'd like to try out due to the effectiveness of a potential transition, as well as the colours and 'aesthetic' of the flowers. 


2. VHS cam 

I also took inspiration from Al8annah's 'Burger King Bathroom', which featured the use of VHS cam. This is something I'd like to try and edit into my music video to represent the happy memories (which links to my prior experimentations of transitions and props). 

VHS Cam



3. Split screen

I chose this technique as it's something that I've seen very often in music videos, especially with songs about love and relationships, so naturally, it's one feature I would definitely like to experiment with. I took inspiration mainly from Micheal Jackson's 'Billie Jean' music video, which featured split screen with changes in his dance moves. I also derived inspiration from a short film about 2 people's daily routine who eventually have a meet-cute. 










 



Comments

Popular Posts